Well, this was my favorite recipe so far to make with the Tuesdays with Dorrie group. I loved making these and will do it again. I was intimidated by the copious amounts of butter that the recipe called for and the 2/3 day process needed to complete the project, but this was my first venture into brioche dough and I love sticky buns, so I ventured forward …
I was surprised at how easy the recipe was, the key was making the time to do all the steps properly. The first step, the sponge was new to me and I liked watching the dough come to life. When I added the next set of ingredients to make the brioche, I was not at all worried about my KA mixer. The dough was so nice and soft that the mixer did fine, even though I had to add about 1/2-3/4 cups more flour than the recipe called for in order to get the right consistency to the dough.
The first rise was a dramatic affair ..
After the dough spent the night in the fridge, I rolled it out and patted it with butter then folded it. It went back in the fridge for resting time.
When the dough was ready, I rolled it out again and added the filling. I then rolled the dough into two logs and put them back in the fridge over night.
This morning I finally cut the logs and made the actual buns. I decided to prep the pans a little differently then the recipe. I had tried the butter smear with the sugar for a tart tartan a little while ago and wasn’t happy with the results, so I melted the butter with the brown sugar in a sauce pan and added 1/4 cup of honey. This worked really well. I put the wet mix in the bottom of the pan, then put the dough in. The dough rose again nicely.
Finally, I was ready to put the buns in the oven and enjoy the results!
This week Tuesdays with Dorrie made a lemon loaf cake. I love lemon, I don’t love pound cakes, but with lemon rind, cream and butter, I thought that I would like this recipe.
This recipe was very easy, so much so that I wanted to play with it before I even started pulling out ingredients. I chose to use a light cream instead of heavy cream (because that is what was in my refrigerator) and I added the juice of one lemon. I used my kitchen-Aid to whisk all the ingredients together, even the last addition of the butter.
The cake baked beautifully and was true to its description in look and structure. I glazed the top with lemon marmalade which added to the lemon taste. Even with the addition of the extra lemon, I did not much like this cake. It tasted a bit “eggy” and was lacking in deep, rich flavor. I don’t know if I will make it again.
I have to say, I was skeptical as to whether or not this would be bread that I would like. I love Irish Soda bread with raisins and caraway seeds and this very basic recipe didn’t include either of those. I was also a little leery of the baker’s comment in the book that the bread does not keep well and becomes hard as a rock after a few hours.
I am happy to report that my family and I loved this bread. It was very easy to make and was moist and flavorful. I put it in a plastic bag in the fridge after dinner and the bread is still soft and tasty this morning. I will definitely make this recipe again!
I baked the Chocolate Truffle Tart on Sunday. I did not have small tartlett pans, so I made a large 9 inch tart.
I found the recipe surprisingly easy. I made the dough early in the day and then baked the shells as I was prepping all of the ingredients for the filling.
I decided to leave the bottom on the tart pan when I baked the recipe, but I took the suggestion of putting the pan right on the oven racks instead of on a cookie sheet. The tart baked perfectly.
My only slight issue was that I wasn’t really sure when the tart was done. I think I over-baked it a little bit, but it still tasted wonderful.
This blog is dedicated to a new adventure that I have decided to embark on – a bi weekly baking class called Tuesdays with Dorie. The inspiration for this community came from Dorrie Greenspan, a fabulous pastry chef and cookbook author. Starting today, February 6, 2012 we are hoping to bake our way through one of her books, “Baking with Julia.”
Tonight, my first night baking with the group was an adventure. Thank you to all of you who posted before I began my bread project tonight. I learned a few thinks before I even began; using a mixer might be a challenge, I have to be prepared for kneading by hand and Almost everyone had success, so I should be confident to achieve the same.
Well, my start was a little rocky. I decided to use my cuisinart mixer, which would have been a good call, if I had seen the line that indicated the maximum amount of liquid I could put in the bowl. A counter covered in a thin layer of water and yeast taught me that lesson fast. I began again, careful of the requirements of the machine, and produced a decent dough.
The first and second rise did not happen as I had hoped. I am not sure if the temperature in my kitchen was too cold or I was too impatient to wait long enough for the full rise: probably a little bit of both.
Here are how my loaves came out. I am going to try this recipe again in a few days and see if I can improve my first attempt. Thanks!